Thursday, January 13, 2011

Week 2 Reflection

worked on thesis: 6 hours
printed monotypes: 7 hours
joined monotypes: 4 hours
large scale poem: 5 hours

It feels good to get back to work this week. I started another large monotype print, but have not gone into it with oil pastel yet. I'm so excited for this direction of my project, and I want to make as many as possible.

I also wrote a letter to my house at the same scale as the large prints (3'x6') to see how they work with each other. I like having the text at a larger scale, but I'm not really happy with this format (oil pastel on Rives BFK). I got a lot of great feedback during small critiques, though. One possibility we talked about was writing the text directly on the wall. Amanda also suggested using vellum and possibly floating them. I think both options are great possibilities that I need to explore. So I'm planning to continue with the large prints and experiment more with the text.

1 comment:

  1. Chrissy,I agree that this version of the poem doesn't work well. I was thinking after we talked last time that you could consider a very conventional but possibly effective solution, which would be to have a book, or a few copies of a book, with your poems in it on a table with a chair in your space. The great thing about poetry is it's "intimate immensity"(Bachelard). It creates it's own space which moves from small to large. Reading in a book allows the reader to create their own psychic space. Putting it large on the wall will fix the physicality of the poem in a specific space. It may be very effective; I don't know. I'd have to see it, or a draft of it. But I don't think you should eliminate the book format either, which could be simply designed and could either contain the images- or croppings of the images- or not.The print looks promising.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete