Thursday, October 28, 2010

Week 8 Reflection

Working on plates: 5.5 hours
Printing: 2 hours
Drawing: 4 hours
Writing: 3 hours






I just saw Bob Dylan at the Hill Auditorium, and he was amazing! Aside from that, I did some more drawings this week. I'm trying to work on different perspectives: lower and closer up, but I'm having a hard time achieving what I see in my head. I think I'm having such a hard time because I have a limited understanding of perspective drawing, so it is challenging to create the images I'm looking for. I picked up a book on perspective, and I'm planning to work through it in order to improve my skills. I don't want my drawings to be purely focused on perspective, but I think working on the basics will really help push the quality of my images.



I also worked more on my basement door collagraph from earlier. I cut down the plate and eliminated the text to get the darkness that I intended in the original drawing. I'm kind of tired of this image now, but I like it much more after the changes.


I also continued working on the bedroom drypoint, creating more gradation within the image. I'm much happier with how it looks, but I'm still working into a little more. I've also decided I like this image much better on white paper than gray. The white pops more, and it really shows off the contrast between light and dark. I've also been trying to think about how to include text with this image, possibly below it on the same sheet of paper, or on a separate sheet. I'm also wondering if the text should be printed, handwritten, or digital. I think it would be best printed, but I'll have to experiment with it. So, I'm planning to continue drawing, printing, and writing next week.

1 comment:

  1. Chrissy,
    Here are some of my thoughts about the various kinds of prints you’re making. First of all, I like how you are experimenting with the angles in your drawings and understand your desire to work on perspective. That’s a good idea. I think that in your recent drawing you are getting to an interesting perspective that is the idea of the “glance” from a child’s perspective. Most of your compositions are constructed with a group of rectilinear forms – all straight lines and angles. There is one drawing with curved forms and the dry point you are working on has curved lines. This is the reason I believe that you didn’t want to use collograph for this image. However, I do think that the collograph process really fits the other kind of composition because of the way you use simple rectilinear shapes. There is a way in which the texture and the forms abstract the image. (I’m particularly thinking of the one that is up in the hallway at school.) I believe these are quite strong. I think that you got a strong reaction to the monotypes as well because of the strong dark and light contrast with the strong rectilinear composition with deep recession. The mark making of etching and dry point is good for rendering forms but I think that the overall design that you are working with in the other compositions breaks down somewhat with your attention to detail in this media. I think you should try etching with aquatint so you can get the wonderful range of values that is so important for this work and also so you can highlight the strong vertical, horizontal and diagonal planes that bring us into the work.

    ReplyDelete