Thursday, October 21, 2010

Week 7 Reflection

Printing: 4.5 hours
Drawing: 2 hours










This past week I continued drawing, and I made a few monotypes from a copper plate. I really enjoyed working this way, being able to quickly make an image and get the kind of lights and darks I want. I'd like to continue making monotypes, but I don't plan to work solely this way. I'm still really drawn to drypoint, and I will probably work with etching and aquatint eventually.

The small critique yesterday was very helpful because I didn't have much feedback from my peers prior to that point. It was good to see how other people read the images, which some people found creepy, while others got a sense of memory. It also really helped me think about perspective. I've been questioning whether I should try to get accurate perspective or play around with distortions in my images, and I think I need to keep exploring this to find the answer. I've also been less focused on writing lately, but I felt reassured yesterday that I should continue working on it because it adds more depth to the images. I don't want to include the writing in the image, but I am still considering how it could work in a book format. So I plan to continue drawing, printing, and writing to keep working through my ideas.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Crissy! I just wanted to drop in and say that the prints look amazing. I love the line qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrissy! These monotypes are gorgeous! This technique really highlights your sensitivity to light, shapes and shadows while still including some linework. I can't wait to see these in person. In pursuing distortion versus perfect perspective, what is the draw to you for both? How does each enhance your concept and the underlying narrative . Keep making!!
    Erica

    ReplyDelete