Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week 5 Reflection

Working on plate: 10 hours
Printing plate: 1.5 hours
Research: 5 hours






This past week, I worked on this aluminum plate using drypoint. I like where it is going, but I want to work into it more to increase the darks in certain areas. I really enjoyed getting back into drypoint because I love drawing into the metal. I'm also excited about Janie's suggestion to make monoprints, and I plan to do that next. I've also made an appointment with Annette to look at some artists' books next week, which will hopefully give me more ideas as to how text might be incorporated into my work.

I started looking at the work of Andrew Wyeth, and his paintings are absolutely gorgeous. There is so much meaning in his depictions of space, and each place or object seems to hold a specific memory. The work feels so serene, and it seems to capture a recollection of time rather than an exact replication of reality, which I find so intriguing and inspiring.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Chrissy,

    Can you put your finger on how Wyeth creates a feeling of memory and time past? It's important to try and pinpoint the root of these feeling so you can try and create them yourself.

    I'm really excited you're meeting with Annette- I think that will be really insightful.

    I also like the drypoint- the fuzziness of the image is very different from the colographs. Do you like one more than the other? Are you thinking of doing a combination of techniques for your prints?

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete