Thursday, November 18, 2010

Week 11 Reflection

Drawing: 16 hours
Printing: 3 hours

I did this 6'x3' drawing for the all student show with oil pastels. I've been feeling restless lately, and I wanted to do something different. I had so much fun working large and playing with color. I continued with the grayscale pastel drawings, and ever since I started working on them last week, I've been feeling like I want to paint, and I can't get it out of my head. Yesterday, Larry Cressman mentioned that I could collage these drawings to get some interesting compositions, and I thought that would be a great possibility to explore.


I also did a couple of monotypes this week based on the pastel drawings. I tried using different values to divide the space. I had a lot of fun working on this plate, but I don't really care for the print that much. I just wasn't satisfied because it was an attempt to paint without actually painting. So I figure I might as well start painting and see what comes from it. I don't know how painting will tie in with the writing and printing, or if it even will, but I'm more concerned with doing what my gut tells me.

3 comments:

  1. Chrissy, your large-scale drawing is beautiful! Do you know if it's at Work or in Slusser?
    Also, I just want to say that I really appreciate all the photos you upload to your blog! They're really great to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chrissy-

    I've got to say that I'm really drawn to the "painted" monotype. I know you said you don't care for it, but there are some areas that are really powerful. That said, I know you want to be painting, and so you've got to do some paintings and see where they go. Do you feel like you're not being challenged through printmedia? There are plenty of things we could come up with to work on through your prints. I would love to talk more about this-

    Have you ever painted on your prints? What about drawing, have you drawn into your collographs before? That might be a great experiment. Have you seen the work of Jim Dine? You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. chrissy,
    the drawings are great! so much progress. definitely paint....you've taken a big leap..
    janie

    ReplyDelete