Thursday, September 16, 2010

Windows Painting

I began this painting with a few small paper collages. From there I painted small studies on paper and then created larger studies on canvas before beginning the final piece (3.5'x4.5'). The process was very important to the evolution of this piece because I learned a little bit from each of my studies. Taking the time to produce studies enabled me to reflect on my work and make effective decisions. It gave me a sense of control and wonder at the same time. Working this way allowed me to open up the space and play with architectural structures in a non-conventional manner. I had a wonderful time playing with line, color, and texture, and I felt an odd familiarity with this place that does not exist in reality, as if I had dreamt it.

No comments:

Post a Comment